The BWI League will follow all Maryland and Baltimore County public health orders, mask requirements and capacity limitations. Currently, there are no spectator limitations or mask requirements in effect.
The 2022-2023 BWI League COVID protocol can be found HERE.
- 2022 US Lacrosse Women’s Field Rules (including self start, free movement and 8 meter penalty shot positioning) with the following points of emphasis/league specifics:
- 7 V 7 including goalie
- 2 players from each team and goalie must stay behind the half field restraining line (4 V 4 inside the 50)
- 24 minute running clock halves with a 2 minute half time and 10 minutes between games.
- No time outs.
- Games will begin with a draw at the start of each half only. Goals will be confirmed by a referee whistle and signal, but play will restart with a goalie clear, rather than a draw
- Ball touching the boards/glass is out of bounds on a pass. On a shot, the ball will stay a live ball in play.
- A cross check in the back is an immediate card and with the boards, this is especially important to note. A dangerous cross check with no attempt to play the ball will most likely be deemed a red card.
- Players should strive for good defense and controlled checks, not dangerous swings and checks to the head, which will be carded.
- A high level of sportsmanship is expected from players, parents, coaches and fans at all times. Taunting will not be tolerated. Harrassing of officials or scorekeeping staff will also not be tolerated.
- Adult team coaches must report the name of any player receiving a yellow or red card to the scorekeeper immediately when the card is given.
- Players receiving red cards will immediately be suspended from the duration of the current game as well as be disallowed from playing in their team's next game. If a player who received a red card rejoins the current game or plays in their team's next game, that player will cause their team to forfeit the score of the game and the player may be banned from the league.
Coaches may not set foot on the field at any time during a game other than when the play has been stopped by the official due to an injury (and the player needs assistance from the coach) or during halftime to respectfully ask the official a question. Any coach who steps onto the field for any other reason will receive a red card and will no longer be allowed to coach in the BWI League.
The door to the field should only be opened when a player is subbing.
Spectators are prohibited from standing behind either bench area.
Parents and spectators are strictly prohibited from communicating with officials during, before or after a game. All communication must be between the coach and official only and must be done respectfully and at appropriate times. Any person not adhering to this expectation will be prohibited from attending BWI League games.
- Each team is required to have an adult manager or coach with them on the sidelines for each game, throughout the duration of the game.
- Teams are responsible for bringing their own reversible jerseys
- Teams should not enter the building more than 5 minutes prior to their game start time. There is no space to warm up before the other teams leave the field, and it is best to minimize facility congestion in light of COVID.
- At the end of a game, teams should leave the buidling quickly in order to create space for the next two teams to enter.
- No post-game handshakes or crossing paths on the field by teams at the end of the game.
Roster and Eligible Players:
- At each game, each team must provide a goalie (from their own roster) and enough field players to play from their own roster (at least 6 field players from their own roster).
- Teams may borrow field players from another team's roster, ONLY if that team is from the same school/organization and ONLY if those field players are playing up a division. Game scores in this situation will stand. No players may play down a division (ie MDS A division can borrow from MDS B division, but MDS B division cannot borrow from MDS A division).
- Teams may borrow a goalie from another team's roster ONLY if that team is from the same school/organization. Goalies may play up OR down a division within school teams (ie MDS A division goalie can play for MDS B division and vice versa). Game scores in this situation will stand.
- If no goalies or not enough field players are available on in school teams, a team may borrow goalies or field players from another school/organization's registered team, BUT they will FORFEIT the score of that game. We want teams to still be able to get out and play, even if they have to borrow players. For the championship format, however, the game will be reported as a 1-0 forfeit. If you are borrowing players from a different school/organization's team, please be sure to report that to the scorekeeper at your game, so the forfeit can be recorded. Failure to report will result in additional future game scores being forfeited.
- Please make every effort to commit to sending enough players to each game. Please commit to sending a goalie to each game. Many teams are driving a decent distance to compete in the BWI League, and we ask that all participants respect each other in their commitment to play.
- Every effort will be made to allow games to be played, but failure to comply with any of the above league rules will result in the score being recorded as a 1-0 FORFEIT.